Laser treatment is the fastest method for dealing with cystic acne as well as acne scars and hyper pigmentation. It is the only treatment with precise effects in which you have to deal with less blood. However, the major disadvantage with laser treatment is that it does not get rid of scars completely and it is the most expensive acne scar treatment method.
Though many of us have probably heard of acne laser treatment before, whether it is through the Internet or word of mouth. But, knowing what the treatment is all about is an entirely different matter. Below are some quick facts about Laser Treatment:
- If you do not like the sight of blood, you will most likely choose laser treatment for your acne instead of other methods of treatment like microdermabrasion.
- By heating the haemoglobin in the blood in the capillaries, scars and pigmentation are removed.
- When the blood vessels are heated up, oxygen is depleted in the skin’s upper layer. This process brings forth healthy skin from beneath and sloughs off the scarred skin.
- Laser treatment is less likely to be successful for darker or highly sensitive skin.
- For laser treatment to be successful, you may have to visit the doctor multiple times or even complete the process using exposed skin care.
Pros and Cons of Laser treatment for Acne
Advantages of Laser treatment
The significant advantage that laser treatment has over most of the other techniques is that it does not involve blood. It will not make you bleed, and you are not at risk of any bacteria infection, unlike dermabrasion which leaves a wound that can get infected later on.
Those who are interesting in getting laser treatment will also be pleased to know that one will not feel any sort of pain when they go through the treatment, though it might just involve a slight stinging sensation that probably won’t hurt much. It also kills off the bacteria quickly, so you don’t have to worry about getting anti-biotics because you won’t be needing it.
Disadvantages of Laser treatment
One major disadvantage of laser treatment is that one treatment is usually not enough to get rid of a scar permanently. It is also not suitable for some skin types as they will not respond well to the treatment. For some people with dark brown or black skin, their acne scars could turn into tough scars called keloids. Keloids are scars that cannot be treated with laser procedures so you have to see a dermatologist first to ascertain if your type of cystic acne scars can be treated with laser.
Laser treatment is also expensive, and most of the time, insurance does not cover the procedure. One session costs a lot of money and you may need to go for as many sessions as your scar will require to fade off. In particular for those with raised scars, as they take a lot of years to smoothen.
Laser treatment may be pretty effective, but just like all treatments, each one of them has its good points and downsides. It may be a good way to get rid some of your scars, however, at the end of the day your skin condition lies in your own hands. So, make sure you take good care of it and you won’t even have to think about getting laser treatment!